PNG Chinese and the Rabaul Connection


Just read the very interesting account of the history of PNG's Chinese and their hardships, struggles and challenges over the years since the German colonisation. I am always interested in the history of my country and this is one piece of historical account by Sir Ling James Seeto that has broadened my knowledge of my country. 

I am from Matupit Island and I grew up in the late 60s at a time when the PNG or rather Rabaul-Chinese influence and presence was at its best. I knew the days of China Town and Malay Town and the Ambonese Club, the Quamintang (excuse my spelling), Atam and the list goes on.
 

The memories of a unique aroma of chinese food is very much alive and vivid in my mind; at around 6pm everyday, you would drive through Matupit Farm and Malay Twon and you would be totally overwhelmed by the sweet aroma of Chinese food.
 

There would be grand of Chinese ladies and men walking the streets, saying hello to their Tolai wantoks selling buai outiside the Chinese shops, others riding bicycles, others chatting over the hibiscus edges while the rest would be doing the everyday things that ordinary folks do on a normal day.
 

The Rabaul "bung" or market every Saturday was always a hive of activity, more like theatre and there would be an abundance of Chinese vegetables, many of which I still don't know the names of, and freshly-picked flowers grown in the Burma Road area towards Navunaram, and specially sold to the Europeans and Chinese. This was Rabaul that is only in my memory.
 

This was PNG at its different best and a far cry and two worlds apart and away from the PNG and Rabaul that I know today. There used to be Palms Theater for the Europeans and there was also the native theatre for the "natives" at the time like me and my father, the good old Mr. Mago used to take me to the native theatre to watch old black and white movies and at times, he would sneak me into the European theatre, with the assistance of now deceased Bernard Gangloff, a Chinese/German/Rabaul relative of my father's who was married to Mona.
 

Then there was the Chinese "Old People's Home", whose equivalent today would be the "nursing homes" in Australia where you would find grand old Chinese men and women who were placed there by their children and relative.
 

I now realise the rich and colorful history that surrounds Rabaul and I am today even more proud to be a Tolai and to have lived through the later part of the good years; a time when the PNG-born Chinese lived in perfect harmony with their Tolai wantoks as "barturana (s)", brothers and there was not feeling of animosity.
 

At the time, everyone lived and got alone very well and there was no distinction of color. At the time, everyone was a Tolai, a Papua New Guinean and everyone respected each other.

Thank you for bringing back the good memories of my early years.

Steven Mago
Matupit Islander
__________________
MTS

Comments

  1. Hi Steven, is there a way I can contact you to hear more information about your accounts in Rabaul? My dad was born in Rabaul has so many questions and stories he would like to talk to you about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FPA: Organizational Process Model

Commercial liberalism and the six norms

Rise and fall realism