Strategic objective 2 and Facebook

In my learning guides, I identified different social media platforms as learning spaces. These platforms are used to share knowledge or information with not only current students but our alumni as well.

Facebook is a social media website first developed by Mark Zuckerberg according to Business Dictionary. Because of its popularity, I decided to include in my learning guides and unit outlines the usage of Facebook. In my unit outlines, it is included in my teaching and learning strategy segments. 

Skerah states that the total number of active monthly Facebook user in PNG is between 600,000-700,000. A good number of the users, about 53% of the active users are college students. This is supported with the high number of active users in the age range of 18-24.

I created closed Facebook groups and named them after the different units that I teach. I have created about six different groups for the six international relations units that I teach. Below is a list of the six units:
  1. IR202 Theories of International Relations
  2. IR203 International Organizations
  3. IR302 International Law in International Relations
  4. IR333 Foreign Policy Analysis
  5. IR431 International and Regional Security
  6. IR432 Geopolitics in Asia-Pacific  

The next cumbersome step was to get you people to join the groups or add you to the groups myself. I announced in class for you all to add me as a friend, to make it easy for me to add you to the groups. Also, I asked those who were members of the groups to add other members of your class to the groups.

Apart from your peers from your year level, we also have other members from other year levels as well as our alumni. Thus, the group is made up of different individuals.

The main objective is to use the groups to share and create knowledge. It is expected that via information sharing and discussion you will be able to grow your knowledge about a particular theory, concept or event.



What I am doing is inline with DWU's 2016-2026 strategic master plan, especially strategic objective 2 which talks about innovation in learning and teaching. I have integrated this technological development (thanks to Mark Zuckerberg) into my teaching and learning strategies to come up with a blended learning curricula. 

Therefore, I encourage you all who are members of the various groups to take ownership of your learning by using the Facebook groups. As shown in the picture above, I commend those who are already using this platform to help them learn. 

Also, remember that our face-to-face contact period is limited in regards to time. But when you use our Facebook groups, whatever we post or discuss will be shared with all who are members of the respective groups. 

Another interesting feature is that our digital footprints will remain and act as a knowledge bank for the next batch of students 2 or 3 years later. Unless, the administrator of the group decides to delete your posts or comments. 

Finally, let us work together to achieve strategic objective 2 of our strategic master plan and fulfill DWU's mission to harness the power of information and communication technologies for knowledge creation, knowledge sharing and for for sustainable development practices of care for people and the environment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FPA: Organizational Process Model

Commercial liberalism and the six norms

Rise and fall realism