Have Your Say: Proposed Changes to Our International Relations Units
By Bernard Yegiora
PNG’s Foreign Policy White Paper 2025 provides an opportunity to reconsider how we teach International Relations at Divine Word University. I invite students, academic colleagues, foreign-service practitioners and anyone with a keen interest in PNG’s international relations to share their views on proposed changes to the seven IR units in our PNG and International Studies program.
Review and introduced in 2023, the Bachelor of Arts (PNG and International Studies) Program Specification Document (2022) is approaching its five-year review cycle. We propose undertaking the review work in 2027, with a revised program ready for implementation in 2028, subject to the university’s approval processes.
This review will help us assess whether the curriculum remains academically sound and relevant to PNG’s needs. The White Paper provides an important policy reference for considering how our units prepare students to understand PNG’s international priorities and the challenges of implementing foreign policy.
The following suggestions would give five units a stronger PNG focus while retaining the titles of two existing units.
| Code | Current title | Suggested title |
|---|---|---|
| PG257 | Theories of International Relations | International Relations Theories: PNG Perspectives |
| PG258 | International Organizations in PNG | PNG Bilateral and Multilateral Relations |
| PG318 | International Law and PNG | Retain current title |
| PG319 | Foreign Policy Analysis | PNG in the International Political Economy |
| PG420 | International and Regional Security | PNG National and Regional Security |
| PG433 | Geopolitics in the Asia-Pacific | PNG in Pacific and Indo-Pacific Geopolitics |
| PG428 | Foreign Policy in PNG | Retain current title |
These proposals involve reviewing content and learning outcomes alongside unit titles. The aim is to connect established IR concepts with PNG’s experience and strengthen students’ ability to apply theory to practical issues.
A significant proposal is to introduce a dedicated International Political Economy (IPE) unit. It would examine trade, investment, aid, development finance, extractive industries, economic diplomacy, multinational corporations, labour mobility and PNG’s economic relations with major partners. This would address a gap in the IR strand and broaden its coverage of the discipline’s major subfields.
Replacing Foreign Policy Analysis would require us to ensure that its essential concepts and analytical methods remain adequately covered, particularly within Foreign Policy in PNG.
The other suggested changes would strengthen attention to PNG’s bilateral and multilateral relationships, national and regional security, and position within Pacific and Indo-Pacific geopolitics. International Law and PNG would remain an important foundation for understanding international obligations, agreements and treaty making.
I welcome views from students, academic colleagues, foreign-service practitioners and anyone interested in PNG’s international relations on the following questions:
- Do the suggested titles reflect what students need to understand about PNG’s international relations?
- Which topics should we add, retain or strengthen?
- Would a dedicated IPE unit improve the program?
- What practical knowledge and skills should graduates develop for careers in diplomacy, government, business and regional organizations?

Thank you for inviting us to share our views on the proposed changes to the seven International Relations units.
ReplyDeleteFirstly, I agree with the proposal of moving from generic titles to PNG-centered titles. As you noted, the 2025 White Paper is the first revision since 1981 and explicitly links foreign policy to domestic goals — national security, economic prosperity, social wellbeing and national unity. Our units should do the same.
Secondly, on the two retained units, PG318 International Law and PNG and PG428 Foreign Policy in PNG — I agree we should keep them. PG428 can become the capstone for Pillars 7 and 8: Departmental and diplomatic reform, and leadership/coordination. It would be good to invite DFA practitioners to co-teach protocol, consular and negotiation, and to bring in your proposal for an institutional Foreign Policy Analysis Unit where students can practice option papers, risk assessment and cost-benefit.
This connects to our discussion in Topic 2 (PG428 Lessons, 2026) about the gap between academics and practitioners. After covering that topic, I learned that academics write about foreign policy but practitioners have to implement it with the reality of limited budget and staff. Hence, PNG foreign policy sometimes looks good on paper but is hard to do.
Additional to this, I want to restate a comment made by one of my colleagues in our group presentation Q&A sessions — that "the White Paper was unrealistic and hard to follow." I understand that view. Because we had also highlighted in Topic 4 and Topic 5 about capacity and political instability, I also felt honestly that the document is very ambitious and not easy to follow.
But I think it is still good to have it as guidance. Before this, as we learned in Topic 3, Topic 6 and Topic 8, we only had statements like ‘Universalism 1979, Look North and PNG Connect’. Now we have one full document that brings them together. Even if it is hard to follow, at least we now have a roadmap to refer to.
All in all, I would like to believe that such engagements where professionals like Mr Lahui Ako involved in the PG428 unit is an attempt to bridge this gap. I believe we must have more practitioner lectures like Mr. Lahui Ako to learn how foreign policy is actually done.
Cheers
Dear Bernard, Greetings from Kennedy Estates in Port Moresby. I wish to register my views with you on the proposed changes to the Course units and to add my diverse experience and experimental learning views to this conversation going forward.
ReplyDeleteFirstly, I believe that current title of 'Foreign Policy Analysis' should be retained because Foreign Policy Issues deals with the past, present, and future of Foreign Policy. However, I am much aware that there's a need to bring the course unit into the modern era with its changing or evolving panoramic landscape. Therefore, I will suggest that the name be changed to "PNG in the Global Political Economy".
Secondly, I believe that the course unit 'International Organisations in PNG' should be changed to "PNG's Multilateralism". In this way, you cover PNG's Bilateral, Multilateral, Trilateral, Regional, and International partnerships.
Thirdly, I also believe that the Course units on 'International and Regional Security' should be changed to "Security Studies" which covers a wide arc of areas and brings a diverse latitude and longitude of Security perspectives from Security Practitioners and Scholars alike to the teach or Co - teach these course. That richness of diversity in thought leadership is a huge plus for the IR student at Divine Word University.