Consultation: ask for academic help

In our IR202 class yesterday, we listened to presentations on two important concepts in international relations; 'Balance of power' and 'national interest'. One disadvantage that I mentioned when commenting on both presentations is the presenters inability to come for consultation.


Furthermore, the University of Tasmania gives an explanation of student learning consultation. The consultation with a student learning adviser supports you to develop the academic skills you need to succeed in your study, such as: assignment writing, exam preparations, referencing, numeracy and English language skills.

Each of you have goals that you want to achieve academically. Some of you want to work hard so you can be given a TESAS scholarship. Some of you, your goals are to get really good grades so you will be successful in finding a good job.

Regardless of whatever goals you have, I have in my unit learning guides outlined that consultation hours are a 'learning space'. You will need to see me during my consultation hours to help you understand the expectations of a particular assessment task or explain further certain things (information or instructions) that are not clear.

In the case of students enrolled in IR302 and IR431, I asked you specifically to see me for help in using the software audacity. For Moodle, we have the Moodle administrator based in the Centre for Learning and Teaching, but I also offer my assistance during my consultation hours.

Consultations are not compulsory but optional. Thus, I am not trying to force you to come for consultation but to make the point that we are here to help, academically. 

It is no use when you work in isolation or ignorance the whole semester, and then complain at the end of the semester (in the unit evaluation) that you were confused about what we were doing or did not learning anything. You also make comments like; we need more IR lecturers, or we need the lecturer to give us more PowerPoint presentation slides.

As an educated person, you have the option of seeing me for a face-to-face discussion on issues related to your assessments or topics covered in class. If you have not used that option then why make such shallow comments on unit evaluations to discredit what we do and the sacrifices we make?

In consideration of the huge amount of money your parents or sponsors spent so you could study here at DWU. I suggest it is time you get your priorities right and make use of this learning space. The opportunity cost of not asking for help or assistance during consultation hours is you under performing.

Going back to the case of the two presenters. If they came and consulted me about the expectations of the task outlined in the unit learning guide during my consultation hours. Then they would have increased their chances of getting a good mark. 

Finally, in DWU, the emphasis is on student-centered learning. That is why we have the learning management system known as Moodle, where we as facilitators will provide the support needed for you to play a critical and active role in your own learning.

Therefore, I make it my business every year to publicize my consultation hours in my unit learning guides. Osem yu yet! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FPA: Organizational Process Model

Commercial liberalism and the six norms

Rise and fall realism